How To Larp
Pleasure before Business
Finally, the larp is about to start. The GM comes up front to cover business matters: rules, changes, safety, agendas, etc. etc…. He barely gets started and is interrupted by a battle that consumes the tavern. Our goal in today’s comic was to begin to show the transition from reality to fantasy. On the left you’ll notice that characters still look as though they are in costume. On the right things have become far more fantastic. The room has morphed from a generic gathering space to a seedy tavern. The players are seen wearing elaborate costumes. Boffers are now real swords. Spell Packes full of birdseed are now spells streaming and ripping through the air. Arrows zip through the battle with pointed tips. There’s a giant troll suddenly destroying the tavern. The suspension of disbelief has set in and this is how the characters see themselves.
An Introduction To The Characters
- Name: Andy
- Age: 19
- Character Name: Raffin the Stalwart
- Race: Human
- Class: Paladin of Blessed Lantern
- Level: 1
- Bio: Andy is brand new to the game and is still trying to figure out who he is in and out of character. He was invited by his friends (one of whom is Constance) and is looking forward to getting into some serious combat. Not quite sure of himself, he hopes larp will be a place where he can be himself.
- Name: Constance
- Age: 27
- Character Name: Ealanys
- Race: Elf of the Evening Star
- Class: Curator of the Crystal Athenaeum
- Level: 5
- Bio: Constance is our sage. She knows every larp rule ever written down and she’s a stickler that they be followed for the sake of the game, not herself. Her mind is a veritable library of resources. In game she is a powerful magical force to be reckoned with. Out of game she is confident yet reserved. When she speaks you’d better listen.