LARP Weekly Roundup 4/20/12
It’s 4/20 and you know what that means…. No, not that. It means it’s Friday and most of you are going larping this weekend. However, if your group is on hiatus and you need something to tide you over, you’ve come to the right place. The Larp news is full of all kinds of goodness this week. Sit back, grab a bag of Funyuns and read the news.
This news roundup is intended to be all about what’s happening in the Live Action Role Playing world. Therefore, we want as much of this weekly segment to be about the things you’re doing, creating and making waves in larp culture and in your circles across the globe. Is your university starting a larp club? Send us the info and we’ll cover it. Got a unique event taking place for your larp group? Let us tell the story. Got the best homemade costume of all time? Send us a picture and be judged by the masses. Whatever your larp story or news is we want to feature you. Yes, you. Email email@example.com to submit your news, story, picture or blog post to the weekly roundup.
- First up is Nordic Larp Talks which is a TED like conference for LARP. Which is mind-blowingly cool. There are 7 different talks all about different aspects of LARP. Everything is covered from “How to become a god” to “Experimental Larp Design”.
- Next up, is the Suburban Rebel Mom with her post: My Children’s Future: LARP Videos. It’s always interesting to see people’s first reaction to larp. Let’s hope her children do larp, just not to Zelda…
- MilwaukeeJoe has a story of kids Larping on his driveway. This one is slightly larping related, but it brings up some interesting thoughts to see how quickly RPG can go from the tabletop to being acted out in a field. The gap isn’t that big.
- Fuck Yeah LARP over on Tumblr has a post titled, “In defence of European larps and non “Boffer” weaponry“. The post brings up the discussion between more stylistic controlled fighting and intensely physical boffer fighting. This is a very important discussion as larp comes into maturity here in the US. Which direction will we go?
- Johanna at skaro.com writes a small essay titled, “Why I LARP“. She covers a lot of the reasons people make their way into larping.
- Cronk News has a satyrical post titled, “Dungeons & Dragons Club Finds LARPers a Little Too Weird“. It brings up a discussion on the way a lot of hardcore table-top gamers can look down on larpers.
- CollabNarration brings us a post by Zoe titled “Goals for LARPing” in which she explores how you might improve your larp game by setting goals in which to improve on.
- Lastly we’ve got an episode of Rob Dyrdek’s Fantasy Factory titled “Thy Kingdom of Fantasy Factory”. From MTV, “Rob and the Fantasy Factory Crew delve deep into the world of LARPing (Live Action Role Play) by dressing up as supernatural warriors to prove their mettle in the gaming world and “defend the honor” of the Fantasy Factory. Big Black also has a new invention that will help all flat-butted men earn respect in the streets.” Watch the episode and let us know what you think of the show.
Photo courtesy of Charlieh0tel