LARP Weekly Update 4/13/12
Happy Friday the 13th LARPers. If you’re lucky enough to be attending a WOD LARP this evening have fun! I hope that the Storyteller can do justice to the date. What’s coming is the larp news. We scour far and wide for interesting larp articles just for you. This week we’ve got a lot of to-dos, how-tos and interviews. See what I did there?
This news roundup is intended to be all about what’s happening in the Live Action Role Playing world. Therefore, we want as much of this weekly segment to be about the things you’re doing, creating and making waves in larp culture and in your circles across the globe. Is your university starting a larp club? Send us the info and we’ll cover it. Got a unique event taking place for your larp group? Let us tell the story. Got the best homemade costume of all time? Send us a picture and be judged by the masses. Whatever your larp story or news is we want to feature you. Yes, you. Email email@example.com to submit your news, story, picture or blog post to the weekly roundup.
- First up is Foamsmithing with their “5 Steps to a more realistic weapon. The first rule is definitely the best, “Toss out your neon pink round blades!”. I think that’s something we can all get behind.
- Xeph-Inc has a really practical guide to outfitting an NPC character without going over the top while also making them really memorable. Their advice start with a tunic, tabbard and a belt. From there you can add details.
- Beth over on CollabNarration has posted her advice on taking the leap from larp participant to staff member directing the plot. Her article is titled, “So you want to staff a larp. She gives 12 really solid pieces of advice that should help you get started or maybe freshen up your game. We’ve heard from many of you that you would like to start a larp in your area. If so, this should be a must read for you to get started.
- Larp Warrior is having a Caption Contest with a prize! The rules are simple: Submit a creative caption for the knight’s speech bubble on their homepage; the caption must include “Free Shipping” and should be no more than 100 characters. The deadline for submissions is April 30th, 2012. The winner gets a throwing knife of their choice.
- Fearnet.com has an interview with Brett Gispon from Knights of Badassdom. We agree with the article that it feels like we’ve been hearing about KoB FOREVER. It’s nice to hear something new from anything related to the movie and this interview doesn’t dissapoint.
- Ginger Soup has written up a really nice piece on John Garcia who heads up the Heroic Interactive Theater chapter in Austin. It’s a bit of an interview, but does a good job of explaining the basics of LARP.